Monday, March 12, 2012

The "Holy Crap My House Smells Good" Smoky White Bean Chicken Chili



Woah guys, woah. You must make this recipe tonight! Go to the store right now and get the ingredients. You can thank me later.

This recipe is a bit time consuming, but the fragrance that it emits into your living space is worth it, alone. If you like smoky food, you will love this recipe. The seasonings that it calls for (smoky paprika and Chipotle chili powder) are amazing and if you've never cooked with smoky paprika, you'll be addicted.

Without further ado, here's the recipe...

The Tools:

- Large stock pot or dutch oven
- Cutting board
- Knife
- Measuring spoons
- Can opener
- Wooden spoon

The Ingredients:


- 4 slices thick cut bacon (I bought mine from the butcher counter because I didn't want to have left over bacon sitting around since I already have a bunch of turkey bacon)
- 1 whole large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 whole Rotisserie Chicken, shredded or diced (I opted to dice, it's much easier than shredding)
- 1 teaspoon Smoky Paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Chipotle Chile Powder, or to taste (this stuff can be spicy, so proceed with caution if you don't like spicy foods)
- 6 cups Chicken Stock (I just put in one box and supplemented with water as needed. I didn't want mine to be too soupy)
- 1 can (28 ounces) Roasted, Diced Tomatoes (yes, roasted...not just plain diced tomatoes)
- 4 cans White Beans, Cannelini or Great Northern
- 2 cans (4 ounce size) Diced Green Chiles
- Salt and Pepper to taste (I put in a 1/2 teaspoon of each to start)
- Grated Cheese to top (the recipe calls for Cotija, but I just used shredded Nacho & Taco cheese)
- Cilantro to garnish

The Directions:

1) Dice the onion, garlic, and chop the bacon.
2) Put the bacon in the hot (medium-high heat) stock pot or Dutch oven, cook for three minutes.
3) Add the onion and garlic, reduce heat to low, and cook with the lid on the pot for 20 minutes, or until the onion becomes translucent. This can take anywhere from 20-30 minutes depending on your stove. Stir often to prevent burning.
4) Meanwhile, take the chicken off the carcass. It's gross, but you gotta do it. I also took the skin off of my chicken because I don't like chicken skin. You could get around this chore by using pre-cooked chicken breasts or by using canned chicken, but I don't think you'd get the same level of flavor.
5) Chop the chicken, or shred it if you like the additional torture.
6) Open the cans and set them aside.
7) Measure out all of your spices into a little dish. I think they call this prep work misenplaise, or something...
8) Once the onion is translucent, add the chicken and the seasonings and let cook on low heat with the lid on for an additional 10 minutes. This allows the seasoning to get into the chicken.
9) After the ten minutes pass, take off the lid and add all of your canned ingredients.
10) Stir it all together and let this mixture cook with the lid off until everything reduces to your liking. Add water and seasonings as needed.
11) Once the chili has reduced, serve it with cheese and cilantro.

Yummmmm! Leave me some comments and let me know what you thought of it! This recipe makes a lot, but I think you'll like it so much that you won't have to freeze any of it!

No comments: