Sunday, March 18, 2012

Quinoa, Garbanzo and Spinach Salad

I have been inspired to create lighter meals with the warmer weather that we have been experiencing lately. I have made this vegetarian salad many times and I never get tired of eating it. I could, however, kick myself for forgetting the Feta cheese for this recipe. I don't feel like going back to the store, so I'll probably either leave the cheese out (and add more salt) or just use some nacho/taco shredded cheese as a substitute. It probably won't be as good, but whatever.

The thing I like best about this salad is the dressing, so make sure you have the smoked paprika on hand that this recipe calls for. You won't regret buying the spice, if you don't already have it. Be prepared, this recipe makes A LOT of salad, so either bring your appetite or share it with people at work, like I do. You can find the original recipe online here on Epicurious. I made a couple of changes by leaving out the mint leaves and adding minced jalapeno.

The Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed, drained
4 cups (packed) baby spinach leaves
2 15 ounce cans garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained
1 3/4 cups, cubed cucumber
1 jalapeno, minced
1 1-pint container grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 1/2 cups coarsely crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup Sherry wine vinegar
2 1/2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika (yum)
1/2 cup olive oil

The Directions:

1. Cook the quinoa and drain. Let it cool before you combine it with everything else.
2. Dice up all of your veggies.
3. Mix together the dressing ingredients (Sherry wine vinegar, smoked paprika, and the olive oil)
4. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss.

Enjoy!


No comments: