Sunday, February 26, 2012

Autumn Casserole


I love this recipe! It truly does taste like Autumn in a bowl. Of course, this is another Crock Pot recipe from one of my favorite website A Year of Slow Cooking.

The best thing about this recipe is the fact that you ca
n customize it to your personal tastes. I like to use Chicken Apple sausage, but really any sausage would work. I would say that it is best to stick with a sausage that has some smokiness to it so that you get that flavor in your casserole. I used Basmati rice for my casserole, but I think it could be really good with some brown rice. Additionally, some Butternut squash or sweet potatoes would add a nice variation to this recipe.

Enjoy!

PS: The pictures are not mine, but from the Year of Slow Cooking website. For some reason, my camera decided to hate me the day that I made this recipe.

The Finished Product:


The Supplies:

Cutting Board
Knife
Measuring Cups
Measuring Spoons
Crock Pot
Rice Cooker (for making the rice ahead of time)
Wooden Spoon for stirring

Ingredients:

1 pound sausage (I used Chicken Apple sausage links)
2 small apples, chopped -- no need to peel
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 bag shredded carrots
3 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup raisins (I used a combination of golden and purple raisins)
1 tablespoon dried Parsley
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon Allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup water or chicken broth (I used water and chicken bouillon for extra flavor. You might also need to add more water as the casserole cooks. Only add the water if the casserole looks dry)

The Procedure:

1. Chop your veggies and sausage.
2. Put everything in the Crock Pot.
3. Cook on low for 5-7 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. Everything is already cooked, so you're really just heating everything through and getting it to marry together. If you choose to use a raw sausage, cook it on the stove before adding it to the casserole.

2 comments:

GnarlyCarly said...

I love that there's apples and sausage in this! That sounds awesome

GnarlyCarly said...

I love that there's apples and sausage in this! That sounds awesome