Sunday, February 26, 2012

Crock Pot Curry Chicken

If you know me, you know that I love Indian food. You also know that I love my crock pot...even if you don't know me, you could probably figure out that I love my crock pot from this blog, alone. I have been sitting on the ingredients for Curry Chicken all week, but I just haven't been motivated to cook. Sunday is usually my day to act like an adult and get things done, so I thought I should probably make a nutritious and delicious meal. That's where Crock Pot Curry Chicken comes in!

I forgot to take pictures this morning...I blame my sleep-induced haze. This recipe is adapted from a recipe that I found here.

Crock Pot Curry Chicken

The Supplies:

Crock Pot
Knife
Cutting Board
Measuring Cup
Measuring Spoon
Wooden Spoon
Rice Maker (or a pot with a lid)

The Ingredients:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
3 medium potatoes; chopped (I used frozen cubed hashbrowns because that's what I had)
1 medium onion; sliced
1/2 bag shredded carrots (the original recipe calls for frozen peas, but I didn't have them)
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk (make sure you shake is like a polaroid picture)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon Asian hot sauce (optional)
1 cup chicken broth (I used a cup of water and 2 chicken bouillon cubes because I didn't have broth)
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ginger, minced
1-2 tablespoons cilantro as a garnish (optional)

The Directions:

1. Slice the onion and make a bed of the veggies (potatoes, onion, and carrot) on the bottom of your Crock Pot.
2. Put the chicken breasts on top of the bed of veggies.
3. Combine the coconut milk, the seasonings, the tomato paste, and the broth in a bowl and whisk.
4. Pour the sauce over the chicken and set on low to cook 6-8 hours or 3-4 hours on high.
5. Make Basmati or another type of long grain rice during the last half an hour of cooking.
6. Serve the curry with the rice and cilantro.

No comments: